One of the great novelties that Windows 11 has brought is the new assistant Copilot. with a running based on Artificial Intelligence, This assistant comes to radically change the way users relate to the Microsoft operating system.
Copilot has been available in the new builds of Windows 11 since June this year, after the official presentation of the assistant in May 2023. Among other things, this new tool promises to make life easier for users thanks to a communication system and assistance that works through a chat.
Microsoft released a public preview of Copilot for Windows 11, which includes exciting and concrete features such as summarizing websites in Edge or take screenshots.
In an official statement, the company briefly explains what Windows Copilot would look like within the system: will appear as a docked sidebar to the right, whether to overlap desktop content. In addition, it will be able to run smoothly without conflicting with open browser windows and other applications. In this way, interacting with Windows Copilot whenever the user needs it would be quick and easy.
Table of Contents
New functions from Artificial Intelligence
Copilot's list of features for Windows 11 goes way beyond what we could have expected from previous wizards. It is a new concept. Actually, a new era where Windows 11 becomes the first operating system to offer an assistant based on Artificial Intelligence.
Some functions are a more or less extensive development of functions already existing in other wizards. Others, on the other hand, are totally innovative. To the previously mentioned, such as the screenshot and summary of websites, we must add those of dark mode and do not disturb mode.
However the real revolution comes hand in hand with AI technology. Now, the user will be able to ask the assistant to carry out actions as creative as write stories or generate images from a series of data or specific words. With the Bing and ChatGPT plugins In Windows Copilot, the user will have access to new capabilities and improved experiences.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg, since Microsoft has already announced that new features will be released shortly that will surely leave many of its users speechless. It seems that there are no limits.
Requirements to activate Windows Copilot
There is only one essential requirement to be able to enjoy the use of Windows Copilot on our PC: have Windows 11 build 23481 or newer installed. To find out if we have it on our computer, we must perform the following check:
- First we go to the general menu of "Setting".
- Then we click on "System".
- Finally, we open the tab "Information", where the version we have installed is shown.
If you do not have this version, you can try to update it that allows us to access Copilot. If this is not possible, there is still the possibility of Join the Windows Insider Program through these steps.
- Let's go to the menu "Setting".
- From there, we select "Windows Update".
- Finally, we click on the Windows Insider Program and press the key "Begin".
Activate Copilot in Windows 11
If we already meet all the prerequisites, the Copilot activation process in Windows 11 is very simple. There are two ways to do it, which we explain below:
To activate the Copilot assistant on our Windows 11 PC, this is what we must do:
- First of all, you have to download a third-party application called LiveTool, available in this link.
- After downloading the ZIP file, you have to unzip it.
- Then we use the key combination Win + X and choose the option “Terminal (Administrator)”.
- Next we use the “cd” command to navigate to the folder where ViveTool has been unzipped.
- The last step is to run the following command: ViveTool.exe /enable /id:44788892
The previous method does not always work on all computers, so it is necessary to try it in another way:Enable Windows Copilot from the Microsoft Edge browser. Actually, to do this you need to have the test version of the browser, called Edge canary. This can be downloaded from the official Microsoft website.
After downloading and installing Edge Canary, these are the steps to follow:
- First we use the key combination Win + R to open the command execution window.
- In the box that opens, we write (or better copy and paste, since it is very long) the following command: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe –enable-features=msEdgeAskCopilot,msShorelineToolbarWinCopilot,msUndersideSidebarPinning,msEdgeSidebarIntoFRE,msStandaloneSidebarFramework
- We click on "Run".
- Finally, we restart the PC so that the changes are duly saved.
Regardless of the method used, the Copilot icon will appear at the top right of the screen. Now we only have to start using it and discover its immense possibilities.