When we install Windows 10 on a computer, the first thing we must do is make sure to activate the operating system correctly. There are several ways to do it. In this article we are going to analyze how to activate Windows 10 using CMD.
It should be noted that the activation process is very important, since it is what allows us to verify that our copy of the operating system is original and that it has not been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. In other words, when we activate the operating system, what we are doing is check that the copy of windows is genuine.
Although most Windows users know it very well, we will remember here that the CMD or Command Prompt is an operating system tool that allows us to execute advanced actions using text commands.
Table of Contents
Is activation really necessary?
Until relatively recently, when installing Windows 10 from scratch, the operating system required the product key. You could use Windows for a limited time, but eventually it was impossible to continue without the key. However, in the latest versions it is possible to skip this procedure. There is no such limitation for installation anymore.
At first glance, this may seem like an advantage, but it really isn't. It is true that we will be able to use the system without problems, although we will not have access to certain functions. These are some of them:
- Start menu settings.
- Personalization options (colors, themes, system fonts, etc.)
- Changes to the lock screen background and desktop background.
- Synchronization of settings between devices.
- Access to some of the taskbar configuration options.
In addition to these functions, it also you need to activate Windows 10 to access all updates and thus achieve the best performance of the operating system. For all these reasons, it is always preferable to activate Windows 10 correctly. Below we will explain how to do it through the CMD or Command Prompt.
Important: it is not a good idea to resort to third-party Windows 10 activator programs. Many of them are illegal and some could even contain viruses that end up damaging our equipment.
Requirements to activate Windows 10 with CMD
One of the first things to do before activating Windows 10 for free with CMD commands is get a license code. Luckily, Microsoft makes some generic codes available to all users to get a temporary activation. These are some of them, depending on the version:
Windows 10 Pro 32/64 bit
- Windows 10 Pro:
- Windows 10 Pro Education:
- Windows 10 Pro Education N:
- Windows 10 ProN:
- Windows 10 Pro Serial:
Windows 10 Enterprise
- Windows 10 Enterprise:
- Windows 10 EnterpriseG:
- Windows 10 Enterprise GN:
- Windows 10 Enterprise N:
Windows Home and Education
- Windows 10 Home:
- Windows 10 Home Single Language:
- Windows 10 Education:
- Windows 10 Education N:
Activate Windows 10 with CMD step by step
After having searched and found the license code corresponding to our version of Windows 10, we can proceed with the activation as follows:
- The first step is to open the CMD or Command Prompt. To do this we have two ways:
- Use the key combination Windows + R, type "cmd" and press OK.
- O well type “cmd” in the windows search box and click on "Symbol of the system".
- Once open, click on "Execute as an administrator".
- Finally, the last step is to enter a series of three command lines:
- slmgr /ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (product key) and then press Enter.
- slmgr / skms kms.digiboy.ir O well kms.msguides.com and press Enter.
- slmgr / ato (required command to remove watermark) and press Enter.
And that's it. After having executed these steps, we will have Windows 10 activated in a simple and free way through CMD commands.
Last step: verify activation
To be completely sure that our system is correctly activated after having executed the actions indicated in the previous section, there is a verification method quite simple and absolutely reliable. We explain it to you below:
- To begin, we go to the page of Windows 10 settings.
- There we select the option "Update and security".
- Then we click on "Activation". In the new screen that opens there are a series of states. The one that appears marked is the one that corresponds to our situation:
- Windows is activated.
- Windows is activated with a digital license.
- Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.
- Windows is not activated.
Activation via phone call
Finally, in case problems arise when executing this process, we have the possibility of activating through a phone call. How can this be done? We simply have to reproduce the steps explained for the verification process (Start> Settings> Update and security> Activation) and, on the last screen, resort to the option "Activate by phone."
In the new window that opens, all we have to do is follow the steps that are indicated. Two telephone numbers will appear, one free and one paid, as well as the installation identification number of our system.
When calling, a virtual voice will ask us for this number, which we must enter using the numeric keypad of our mobile phone. To finish, we select the option «Write id. of confirmation» and we simply follow the instructions received.