Although many users use sophisticated systems such as a fingerprint sensor or a camera compatible with Windows Hello, the truth is that most people continue to use the classic PIN or password system to access their computers and laptops. But, How to enter the computer if I forgot the password?
All users of Windows 10 You are required to create a password to access your PC. This password will be needed to start the device or activate it after leaving it in save mode. Is a security measures more than protects our equipment against unauthorized attempts to access it. Our data is safe, even if the laptop is lost due to carelessness or theft.
Obviously, having to enter the password means that the process of starting Windows is slower than usual, although it is worth it, for the reasons we have discussed. Another inconvenience that this system entails is that, in case of losing or forgetting said password, we find ourselves unable to access our computer. This is a situation that often makes us quite nervous.
However, as always, there are solutions to get out of this apparent impasse. If we use our Microsoft account to log in to the device, the password can be reset through the Microsoft website, as we will see below. If not, things get complicated, but there are still resources that we can use.
But before delving into the matter, we suggest you carry out a preliminary check: make sure that the key Shift is not activated by mistake. It's a very silly thing, but it happens often. If we use a password that is case sensitive, that could be the explanation. The same can be said of the key Num Lock in the case of a password containing numbers.
Ruled out the obvious, let's review below the remedies to "forgot password" to access our Windows 10 computer.
Table of Contents
Through Microsoft account
If we have a microsoft account, the password recovery process is very quick and easy. This system works for both Windows 10 and Windows 11. All we will have to do is this:
- From another device, we access the page Recover your Account.
- A screen like the one shown in the image above will appear.
- Now we just have to enter our email, username or Skype name to receive the forgotten password again.
In the case of not having a Microsoft account, there are other options, as we explain below.
Using a local account: reset password
This recovery mode will only be useful if we have previously taken the precaution of having configured one or more security questions for these cases. If so, this possibility will be shown on the home screen. In the case of using a PIN that we cannot remember, we will have to click on the small key icon and log in with a password.
If we do not remember the password either, we will have to proceed to reset it with the option "Restore password", by answering the aforementioned security questions.
But of course, if we have not been careful enough to configure the security questions, this method will not work.
Sign in to Windows without a password
There is a method that works on Windows 10 and 11 versions. A solution to the distressing "forgot password" situation. First of all, you have to turn on the “Use Windows 10 without a password prompt” feature following these steps:
- To start, we use the key combination Windows + R to open the box "Run".
- There we introduce the CMS command regedit.
- Then we open the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device
- Then we activate the function by double clicking on DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion and enter the value “0” (zero) in the following menu.
Once we have activated the "Use Windows 10 without a password request" function, we are going to proceed to disable password prompt through these steps:
- Again we use the key combination Windows + R to open the box "Run".
- There we enter the command netplwiz.
- Next, the "User accounts" menu will open, where we will deactivate the option "Users must enter their name and password to use the equipment.
- To finish, we enter the current password to confirm and click on «To accept".
Important: before making the decision to allow access to our computer without a password, we have to think that, by doing this, anyone will be able to access it and the data that we store inside. It may not be the most sensible option.
Using a password recovery software
Finally, one more possibility to recover our passwords: using a program specialized in this type of task. Generally, these are payment programs, but they can be very useful to get us out of a bind. Ophcrack y PassFab4Winkey are two of the most popular.