In October 2021, Microsoft released what is its latest version of its operating system to date: Windows 11. This new stage in history was greeted with mixed opinions: while many users were enthusiastic about installing it, many others remained reluctant. In fact, there are those who have even chosen to rectify, deciding Go back to Windows 10 from Windows 11.
The reasons are varied. It is true that during the first weeks there were reports numerous glitches which were gradually corrected. These bugs may have partially overshadowed the new features and improvements that the new version brought. It is also possible that the new design has not finished convincing users who were already perfectly adapted to Windows 10.
Some of the novelties that Windows 11 brought have to do with the hairsalon, offering many options to customize the appearance of the system according to our tastes and preferences. Among them is the one to preserve the design of Windows 10.
It also incorporates interesting improvements in terms of security. Among them stands out the TPM chip, insurance to prevent malicious software from infecting a computer and spreading through a network quickly. This TPM module is integrated into the motherboard, protecting encryption keys, user credentials, and other sensitive data.
For the rest, Windows 11 offers a new user interface, a new way of organizing the desktop, the ability to install Android applications, as well as new ways to use widgets and get the most out of them.
Which is better, Windows 10 or Windows 11? We are not going to enter here to judge which version is better. There are many opinions and points of view on this issue, with arguments for and against. In any case, everyone has the right to change their mind and rectify, if they consider that this is the right thing to do. So, whatever the reason, we are going to see what steps we must follow to undo this action and return to Windows 10 from Windows 11.
During the 10 days of trial
The truth is that Microsoft, while encouraging everyone to install Windows 11, also thought of offering its users the option of returning to Windows 10 after trying the new version. The problem is that it only offers a margin of 10 days after upgrading to Windows 11. After that period of time, the possibility disappears. The method that Microsoft offers us is the following:
- First of all, we must enter the Windows settings.
- There we go to the section "System" and choose the option "Recovery".
- In this section we find the options to recover or reset Windows. There we have to select the "Back" option (although it will only appear if we are still within the 10-day window).
- If we are within the deadline, a window will appear in which Microsoft asks us indicate the reason why we have decided to return to Windows 10. This information is very important for Microsoft as it provides you with the keys to fix possible errors and shortcomings in Windows 11.
- Before proceeding, various notices are displayed about configuration changes or installed applications that will be lost with the change. Then we click on "Next".
- Finally, all that remains is to click on the button "Go back to Windows 10» and wait for our team to carry out the process.
However, many users may have made the decision to switch back to Windows 10 long after that courtesy period expired. What can be done in that case?
After 10 days of trial
In the event that we make the decision to go from Windows 11 to Windows 10 once the 10 days of rigor have passed, to execute the reversion it is necessary perform a clean install. These are the steps to follow to do so:
- First of all, we have to go to the windows 10 page and download the media creation tool.
- There we must execute the file Media Creation Tool, accepting the conditions of service.
- When the message appears "What do you want to do?", select Upgrade this PC now and click on "Next". This will start the download of the latest version of Windows 10 that is available. The duration of the process will depend on our internet connection speed.
- Once the download is complete, click on "Next", after which the installation wizard will start *.
- Finally, we must close all the applications that are running and save all the files. Once this is done, we can click on "Install".
You have to be patient as the installation of Windows 10 may take some time. During this last step it is possible that our computer restarts a few times.
(*) Please note: before finishing the installation process, we will have the opportunity to see a summary of our selections. There, in the "Change what to keep" option, we have to select "Nothing".