Every time we turn on or restart our computer with Windows 11, the start of certain programs is automatically activated. Users have the option to decide what programs should be, based on their needs. Some of them are necessary and very useful, while others may be dispensable and even annoying. That's why you need to know how to remove programs from windows 11 startup.
The most important thing we should know is that these programs that start when booting can help us achieve more agility, if they are the ones we use regularly. However, it must be borne in mind that at the same time they consume quite a few resources. This results in a slower start.
Windows 11 Startup Folder
There is a specific hidden folder in Windows 11 (the home folder) to which any user can add the executable files of the programs they want to start during the system boot process. These programs are registered in the form of a list from the Task Manager.
In principle, there is no limit to adding startup programs, although if these are excessively numerous, our computer will have to work more. In other words: the more programs that are started during the operating system startup, the longer it will take for it to complete.
Input, It is not good to have too many programs in the Windows 11 Startup folder., only those that are truly necessary and essential. And that's why we have to know what to do to eliminate them.
To understand everything much better and execute all the actions correctly, what we are going to explain next is the following: first, how to add programs to the Windows 11 startup folder; then, what to do to remove them. Finally, we will also explain how to disable programs that run in the background.
Make a program start with the boot of Windows 11
To include a program in the aforementioned Windows 11 startup folder and, therefore, it starts during startup, we must follow these simple steps:
- First, we perform the program search which we want to start at boot using the search button.
- We select the program among the search results by right-clicking on its icon.
- In the next menu that is displayed, we select "Open location".
- The next step is to copy from this folder the direct access to the program.
- Then we open the following folder: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, in which we paste the previously copied shortcut.
And that's it. As soon as the file or shortcut appears in the Windows 11 startup folder, the program will be ready to start automatically every time we turn on or restart our computer.
Remove programs from Windows 11 startup
Now that we know how programs are added to the Windows 11 startup folder, let's see what is the procedure to follow to remove them:
- The first thing to do is open the Task Manager via triple key combination Ctrl + Shift + Escape.
- Then we go to the tab Home. There we will find the list of all the programs, apps and other software that start during the startup of the Windows 11 operating system.
- Once the element we want to remove from the start is located in the list, we right-click on it and, in the drop-down menu that opens next, select the option "Disable".
By doing this, the program that has been disabled will no longer start every time the Windows 11 operating system boots when we start our computer. We will notice it in the speed at which the boot occurs, once we have stopped these programs.
Disable background programs
Now that we know how to change the startup settings in Windows 11 to decide which programs will run when our PC starts up, it's time to address another related issue: the apps running in the background.
These programs are not as demanding in terms of resources as the ones we have mentioned before, since they are native to Microsoft and integrate very well into the system. However, it is convenient to disable them if we do not use them. This is how we can do it:
- To begin, we open the Start menu and go directly to "Setting".
- Then we will "Applications" and in the menu that is displayed, we select "Applications and Features".
- Then we go to each of the applications that we want to disable from startup and left-click to go to "Advanced Options".
- Next we choose «Background app permissions", where we select "Never".
But What are those applications that run in the background and should be removed? The list can be quite extensive, but among the most common we can cite the following: Opinion Hub, Mail, Cortana, Solitaire, Teams, etc. It is up to each one to choose which ones to eliminate and which ones not.