Windows 11 It is the latest version of Microsoft's operating system, which is already installed by default on many new PC models. In any case, it can be installed on any compatible computer, whether it already had Windows 10 or not. In this post we will explain how download windows 11 free and install it without problems.
Below we will review what are the previous steps before proceeding to download and install Windows 11, the necessary requirements for our equipment and other important information that is worth knowing. The download, which is what this post focuses on, it is not a complicated process, but it must be done correctly to avoid problems.
It doesn't matter if it's a "clean" installation (ie, the first time on a computer), a reinstallation or an upgrade from a previous version. The download step will always be the same and it involves visiting the Microsoft official website and download from there.
Table of Contents
Three ways to download Windows 11
Actually, Windows offers a specific page exclusively dedicated to downloading Windows 11. On this page we see that there are three options that we analyze in detail. The first two methods are relatively simple, as they simply force us to follow a series of steps. The third, more complex, is intended for users who use other operating systems, but want the option to move to Windows 11.
Windows 11 Setup Wizard
The first option that we must choose in the case of wanting make the jump from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Through it we will be able to download Windows 11 and install it immediately on the computer from which the download is made.
The process is very simple: you just have to click on the button "Download now" and an executable program will appear on the screen that will serve as a guide. All we have to do is follow his instructions.
Once the download is complete, these are the steps to follow for the installation:
- We run the installation program (administrator permissions are needed).
- We wait a few moments for the tool to confirm that the device's hardware is compatible, after which we select the option "Accept and install".
- After the installation is complete, we restart the PC. You have to be patient, because this last step can take a long time.
Create Windows 11 installation media
This is the option we must choose to download and install Windows 11 on a “clean” computer, that is, that it is completely new or that it does not have any operating system installed yet. It will be necessary, among other things, to have a 64-bit CPU.
The idea is to download a media creation tool to create a bootable DVD or USB. This is what needs to be done:
- Download and run the media creation tool, with administrator permissions.
- Next on the page "What do you want to do?", we select the option "Create installation media for another PC" and click on "Next".
- Then we select the language, edition and architecture (64 bits) for Windows 11.
- At this point it is time to decide what medium we are going to use. There are two possibilities:
- USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of space.
- ISO file to create a bootable DVD.
- Finally, we just have to follow the steps indicated by the installation wizard in each case.
Download Windows 11 Disc Image (ISO)
This third download mode is designed for slightly more demanding users who want to create a bootable installation media (like what we have seen in the previous case: a USB flash drive or a DVD) or want to create a virtual machine, using an .ISO file, to install Windows 11.
Depending on what we have planned to do, after downloading we will have to choose between one type of installation or another:
- First we locate the folder where the Windows ISO has been downloaded.
- We then use Windows Disk Image Burner to create the installation DVD (right click on the ISO file and select «Properties»).
- Then in the tab "General", we select the option "Opens with:"
- There we will "Change…" and then select the Windows Explorer.
- Finally, we click on "Apply".
- To begin with, we go to the location where the ISO file has been downloaded.
- We click with the right mouse button on the ISO file, where we select «Properties».
- As in the previous case, in the tab "General", we select the option "Opens with:"
- Let's go to option "Change…" and then select the Windows Explorer.
- We press the button "Apply".
- From here, we have to follow a different path: we right-click on the ISO file and select "Mount", which will create a virtual boot disk.
- To finish, we double click on this disk to see its files. We double click on setup.exe to start Windows 11 setup.